1/2 Photos of Polpette Alla Casalinga
Nana Chickens's Note:
This recipe for meatballs is the best that I have discovered. It came from the cookbook, "The Cooking of Italy". It actually is a Time-Life book, that has amazing information on the history of Italian cooking along with the regional applications. My ex mother in-law, who was born and raised in Italy says it's pretty accurate. She was and still is an amazing cook and baker at the age of 88. I still call her for help on recipes. Whoever tries this recipe, I hope you enjoy these meatballs as much as my family does.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices French bread or 2 slices Italian bread, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 lb beef chuck, ground twice
- 1/4 lb sweet Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1Soak the pieces of bread in 1/2 cup milk for 5 minutes, then squeeze them dry and discard the milk.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix vigorously with both hands or beat with a wooden spoon until all of the ingredients are well blended and the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- 3Shape the mixture into small balls about
- 41 1/2 inches in diameter.
- 5Lay the meatballs out in one layer on a flat tray or baking sheet, cover them with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- 6Heat 1/4 cup of olive or vegetable oil in a heavy 10 to 12 inch skillet until a light haze forms over it.
- 7Fry meatballs 5-6 at a time over moderately high heat, shaking the pan constantly to roll the balls and help keep them round.
- 8In 8-10 minutes the meatballs would be brown outside a d show no trace of pink inside.
- 9Add more olive or vegetable oil as needed.
- 10Serve the meatballs hot in your favorite tomato sauce.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polpette Alla Casalinga
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.1
- Calories from Fat 271
- Total Fat 30.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 144.1 mg
- Sodium 1120.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 33.6 g