1/3 Photos of Pollo Vascongado (Basque Chicken )
1 hr 10 mins
Helma Ritter had a restaurant called the Soupkettle in Nashville, Tennessee during the 1980s. She shared recipes on local television during that time. Here is one from the Basque region of Spain that she shared.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- 2In a large skillet, fry chicken in olive oil until golden on all sides.
- 3Reserving the oil in the skillet, remove the chicken pieces and place them in a large dutch oven with a cover; set aside.
- 4Saute onion and garlic in the same oil that the chicken was cooked inches.
- 5When onion becomes opaque, stir in the flour and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- 6Add the ham or bacon, paprika and wine; bring to a boil.
- 7Pour the wine mixture over the chicken; set the pot on the stove and bring it to a boil.
- 8Cover the pot, reduce the heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- 9Clean the shrimp and place it on top of the chicken; cover and continue to simmer for 10 minutes or until the shrimp are pink.
- 10Garnish with parsley sprigs.
- 11Helma suggests serving this with rice and a green salad.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pollo Vascongado (Basque Chicken )
Serving Size: 1 (290 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 889.5
- Calories from Fat 553
- Total Fat 61.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 259.8 mg
- Sodium 765.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 59.2 g