My husband loves to order this at Garcias, and so we had to find a recipe to make it at home. We found one on the web and have changed it a little to suit us.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely diced
- 1⁄2 large onion, finely diced
- 15 -20 small flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend, divided
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced jalapenos
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 garlic cloves
- oil, for frying
- Boil chicken in water (or broth) until cooked through.
- Let cool enough to handle, and then shred. Place in large mixing bowl.
- Saute green pepper and onion in a small amount of butter or oil until pepper is tender and onion is translucent.
- Add to chicken in bowl.
- If you have a deep fryer, fill it up and turn it on. If not, heat up 2 inches of oil in a large fry pan over medium-high heat.
- While the oil is heating, make sauce. Combine cream cheese, sour cream, jalapeños, half and half, and garlic cloves together in a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Add half of the sauce mix to the chicken mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup of cheese to chicken mixture, and stir to combine all together.
- Place approximately 1/2 cup of chicken mixture on a tortilla and roll up "burrito style". Repeat for remaining mixture.
- Fry "burritos" in oil until golden brown, turning once if frying in a fry pan.
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place chicken "burritos" in a large glass pan (9x13 is recommended).
- Pour remaining sauce over the top (you can reserve about 3/4 cup, if desired, for serving on the side).
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place in oven for approximately 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Not the same as the stuff you get in a restaurant, but definitely delicious. I did not use onions since my family doesn't like them, but I sauteed the peppers with some onion powder for flavor. The recipe does not tell you what to do with the peppers, so I just mixed them in with the sauce that I poured on top. I also baked instead of fried them, and they were great. I used evaporated milk instead of half and half, low fat sour cream, reduced fat cheese, and fat free cream cheese. My family loved them and I have a picky 3 and 5 year old.
Just as good baked. Spray with oil, bake at 425 17-20 minutes. once crunchy, top with sauce and replace in oven until melted. We also used light cream cheese & sour cream. Reheats great.
My BH & I really enjoyed this recipe. We cut the recipe in half which made 5 large burritos. I've never made a fried burrito before & this one came out delicious. It was creamy on the inside and still carried the crunch even after baking. We had it with a side of lettuce topped with sour cream and re-fried black beans. Would do this again. Thanks for posting.