Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
This recipe comes from Giada De Laurentiis. In southern Italy, lemons are abundant and used in everything. The lemon juice is the secret ingredient.
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) frying chickens, cut into 8 serving pieces
- 2 cups olive oil, for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- lemon wedge
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chickens pieces and seal bag.
- Gently shake the bag to ensure the chicken is coated with the marinade.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day, turning the bag occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- In a large cast-iron frying pan or other heavy frying pan, add enough oil to come to 1/3-inch up the sides of the pan.
- Heat the oil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, drain the marinade from the chicken and pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
- Dredge half of the chicken pieces in the flour to coat completely; shake off the excess flour.
- Add the coated chicken to the hot oil and fry until golden brown and just cooked through, turning occasionally, about 25 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Then place the fried chicken on a baking sheet and keep it warm in the oven while frying the remaining chicken.
- Repeat coating and frying the remaining chicken.
- Arrange the fried chicken on a warm platter and serve with the lemon wedges.