Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is another popular way chicken is served in the Canary Islands. Each bar has their own recipe, but the basics are the same. Of course I have a cookbook that is solely variations of "mojo" sauce in the Canaries...that will give you an idea of how much variation there is for "mojo!" I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as we do! Prep time does not include marinating time, so be sure to allow for that.
- 1 whole fryer chickens, cut up or 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 cloves garlic
- sea salt
- 3 small dried cayenne peppers (about 1/2 teaspoon, crushed pepper flakes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (about)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- oil (for frying)
- Using a mortar and pestle, mash garlic and salt until creamy.
- Add cayenne peppers and cumin seeds and continue to mash.
- Add paprika and mix.
- Add oil and mix, then add vinegar and mix again.
- Marinate chicken for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.
- (I have made the recipe until this point and frozen the raw chicken-- when you thaw it, it will be even tastier than marinating in the fridge, after thawing, prepare as follows) Heat a small amount of oil over medium high heat.
- Fry chicken pieces until cooked through-- for bone-in, about 20 minutes or so, for boneless skinless breasts, about 15 minutes.
- May also be done on the grill.
We've had Pollo en Mojo many times in the Canary Islands, but this was one of the best. I didn't change a thing, it was delicious, easy and quick, too. It will be a regular now for us and will cook one, freeze one next time.
OH MAN!!! we grilled this chicken and it was fabulous! I didn't have smoked paprika so just used regular and it was not missing a thing, this is a wonderful recipe, and I will be making this alot!
Wow! I used 2 bone-in chicken boobs and marinated it for about 6 hours with the whole recipe of mojo. I slipped some under the skin as well. I baked the chicken for about 55 minutes at 350 and it was fabulous. Spicy, moist and wonderful.