Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is another popular way chicken is served in the Canary Islands. Each bar has their own recipe, but the basics are the same. Of course I have a cookbook that is solely variations of "mojo" sauce in the Canaries...that will give you an idea of how much variation there is for "mojo!" I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as we do! Prep time does not include marinating time, so be sure to allow for that.
- Using a mortar and pestle, mash garlic and salt until creamy.
- Add cayenne peppers and cumin seeds and continue to mash.
- Add paprika and mix.
- Add oil and mix, then add vinegar and mix again.
- Marinate chicken for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.
- (I have made the recipe until this point and frozen the raw chicken-- when you thaw it, it will be even tastier than marinating in the fridge, after thawing, prepare as follows) Heat a small amount of oil over medium high heat.
- Fry chicken pieces until cooked through-- for bone-in, about 20 minutes or so, for boneless skinless breasts, about 15 minutes.
- May also be done on the grill.