Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Pollo E Patate Con Vino
- 8 -9 small potatoes (about 11 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 celery rib, quartered
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and quartered
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 2 fresh sage leaves
- 1 leaf rosemary, from 1 large sprig fresh rosemary
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 1⁄2 cup flour, for dredging
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, Colavita
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 2 ounces prosciutto, cut in strips
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley
- Wash the potatoes well and set aside.
- Bring a medium saucepan two-thirds full of water to a boil.
- Add salt and the potatoes, and boil for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and set aside.
- Place the onion, celery, and carrot on a cutting board along with the garlic, sage, and rosemary leaves.
- Finely dice the vegetables and seasonings together. Set aside.
- Wash and dry the chicken pieces; dredge in flour; shake off excess flour; set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat the butter and olive oil.
- Add the minced vegetables and cook slowly over low heat for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and continue to cook over low heat, turning the pieces to brown evenly.
- Raise the heat to medium-high; add the wine and cook until wine evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Dissolve the tomato paste in the hot broth.
- Add half the beef broth to the chicken; stir; cover the pot.
- Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Peel the potatoes and cut in half.
- Add along with the remaining broth to the chicken and cook, covered, for 20 minutes longer, or until the chicken is tender.
- Five minutes before the chicken is cooked, add the prosciutto, sea salt, and pepper.
- To serve, place the chicken on a dish with the sauce.
- Sprinkle on the parsley.