Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Diner, Drive-ins and Dives, cookbook. Recipe courtesy of Eve Collins of Chino Bandido, Phoenix,AZ
- 1⁄4 cup garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion, yellow, minced
- 1 tablespoon green onion, white and green parts, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 serrano pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 pinch garlic salt
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- corn oil, for deep frying
- 3⁄4 cup egg white (from about 6 eggs)
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 12 oz)
- 2 chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 12 oz)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 cups cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons hot chili oil, divided
- 2⁄3 cup green onion, white and green parts, chopped
- 1 pinch garlic salt
- Combine all of the ingredients for the garlic mixture in a small bowl.
- Heat about 5 inches of oil in a deep, heavy-bottom pan or deep fryer until a deep-fry thermometer reads 375 degrees. Line a plate with paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with a hand held mixer until frothy. Add the chicken pieces, turning to coat each piece evenly. Season with garlic salt and black pepper and stir to distribute.
- Put the cornstarch in a shallow bowl. Lift the chicken from the egg whites, letting the excess liquid fall back into the bowl. Dredge the chicken pieces in the cornstarch, turning to coat evenly.
- When ready to fry, pick up about half the chicken in handfuls and transfer from hand to hand to shake off most of the cornstarch. Carefully add the chicken to the oil. After 10 to 15 seconds, stir , or shake the deep-fry basket, to make sure the pieces aren't sticking together. Fry until the chicken floats to the top of the oil and is light brown, 3 to 5 minutes. (The chicken should appear somewhat dry, not oily, when lifted from the oil.) Drain on the paper towels. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Heat a wok or skillet over medium to high heat and add 1 T of the hot chili oil and 1 t of the sesame oil. Add half the garlic mixture and half the green onions and stir-fry, taking care not to let the garlic brown. Add half the fried chicken and toss to coat wiith the sauce. Season with the garlic salt and toss once more. Repeat with the remaining ingredients and chicken.