Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Chicken in pineapple - authentic recipe. You will need a syringe to inject the juices into the chicken.
- 1 whole chicken
- 12 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 cup sweet white wine
- 1⁄4 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 (12 ounce) cansliced pineapple in syrup
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 chipotle chiles, blended into a paste
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- In a blender, mix pineapple juice, wine, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Blend well.
- Inject the liquid into the chicken all over.
- Tie back the wings and the legs.
- Mix together the butter, sugar, and chile chipotle.
- Coat the outer side of the chicken with this mixture.
- Place chicken in roaster and put sliced pineapple on top.
- Cook for 2 hours or until golden.
One of my favorite toys in the kitchen is my flavor syringe. I love injecting marinade and other wonderful things (like whisky) into chicken and roasts, it adds the most wonderful flavor! We don't have pineapple juice available for drinking in this country, so I just used the syrup from the canned pineapples. I also used some generic Morrocan hot peppers instead of the chipotles, which also don't exist here. Good recipe, great flavor, fun to make!