Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Crusty and cheesy chicken casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- sea salt
- 1 rotisserie-cooked chicken, meat removed and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 (16 ounce) package spinach, stemmed, washed, drained and torn into pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-fat milk
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups grated asiago cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat olive oil in ovenproof casserole and cook onion and celery until softened.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowel and stir in celery seed, salt, chicken and spinach.
- In the same casserole, melt butter of medium heat and whisk in flour until it forms a smooth paste.
- Slowly whisk in the milk until the mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken (consistency of pancake batter).
- Stir in the nutmeg and salt.
- Combine the chicken mixture with the sauce.
- Cover the pan and bake casserole for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake 5 to 8 minutes longer, just until the cheese begins to bubble and brown.