Translated: Chicken Crepes with Blue Mole. The word "Mole" comes from the Aztec word "Molli," meaning "concoction," "stew" or "sauce." There are so many different variations of this wonderful dish and many are very time consuming. The sauce really isn't blue it does cook into a rich and lightly spicy mole with a touch of sweetness. Don't let the list of ingredients scare you. This is cooked in the crock-pot and goes together in a flash. The mole and chicken freeze well.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken thighs, bone in
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, washed
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, rough chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and rough chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 cinnamon stick, 2 1/2 to 3 inches
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1⁄3 cup fresh blueberries (If using frozen berries, rinse and drain well.) or 1⁄3 cup frozen blueberries (If using frozen berries, rinse and drain well.)
- 1⁄4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free chocolate syrup
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Splenda granular
- 1 slice bread, torn into pieces
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 12 -16 prepared crepes
- light sour cream
- 4 -5 scallions, sliced (Both green and white part.)
- Place the tomatoes, onions, garlic and jalapeno pepper In a 8 x 8 inch dish and drizzle with just enough olive oil to lightly coat the vegetables, season with salt and pepper to taste; put in a preheated 375 degree oven for 10 minutes, stir and return to oven for another 10 minutes.
- In a small dry skillet, place the cumin, ground nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon stick and chili powder; warm just until fragrant, taking care not to burn the spices.
- Place the roasted tomato/onion mixture in a blender container along with the spices, the stock, peanut butter, blueberries, coffee, chocolate syrup, orange juice, torn bread and Splenda; blend until smooth.
- Place the chicken in a 3.5 to 4 quart crock-pot and pour the mole sauce over all; turn on low and cook 6 to 8 hours or until chicken is falling off the bone, remove bones and cartilage, and chicken from sauce.
- Shred the chicken with two forks, cover and place in low oven to stay warm while reducing the sauce.
- Pour the mole into a medium size saucepan and bring to a rapid boil; lower heat and boil gently for 15 to 20 minutes or until thick; adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble, place crepe on serving plate, spoon shredded chicken down the center to within 1 inch of each side, fold in sides and fold top to center bringing bottom up to center, slightly over lapping. Repeat process with remaining crepes allowing 2 per serving.
- Spoon reduced mole sauce over crepes top with a dollop of light sour cream and sprinkle with scallions.