Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe developed over time with feed-back from my friend from Mexico. He is the one who suggested this mixture of tastes that work so well
- 4 lbs skinless chicken, fat removed, cut in pieces
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch saffron (can use tumeric as this is used only for color)
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, unsalted, blanched, coarsely chopped
- 2 valencia oranges, peeled and sliced
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, cinnamon, and cloves; brown over moderately high heat in the oil.
- Add the whole garlic and chopped onion. Continue cooking until chicken is well browned but not crusted.
- Mix orange juice, water, saffron, raisins, and capers together, then add to pan.
- Cover and cook slowly, over medium low heat, until chicken is tender for about 40 minutes.
- Add almonds 5 minutes before serving. Remove garlic.
- Decorate with the orange slices.
5 Stars...Easy to make and bursting with flavor. Friends loved it. As chicken finished cooking, removed from pan and tented with aluminun foil. Then reduced sauce by about 2/3rds to get a delicious concentrated sauce. Had a leftover chicken breast the next day at work for lunch; flavors were even deeper and more intense. Already have requests to make it again!