Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This dish is warm and comforting, perfect for a cold winter night. This meal goes great either with a side of rice or with both rice and black or red beans.
- 2 large baking potatoes (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (sliced in thin strips)
- 1⁄4 cup onion (slices sliced 1/4 inch thick)
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder or 2 large bouillon cubes
- 2 roma tomatoes (chopped into thirds)
- 1 poblano pepper (roasted and roughly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- First start off by bringing your water, potatoes and 1 tbsp chicken flavoring to a boil uncovered.
- While the potatoes are boiling melt the tbsp of butter in a skillet and saute the onions, garlic and tomatoes for 5 minutes. Next add the chicken breast strips and cook on medium heat until chicken is no longer pink.
- Check your potatoes. As soon as a fork pierces them and slides in easliy immediately take them off the heat and drain the liquid reserving it in a bowl. Next add half of the reserved liquid in the with chicken and add your sour cream. Bring the heat down to a high simmer or medium low heat.
- Make sure to stir the sour cream in fully. Add the rest of the reserved liquid if needed. The mixture should almost coat the back of a spoon. Next, add your poblano peppers, potatoes and the last tbsp of the chicken flavor.
- Cover and continue to cook on medium low until the cream sauce coats the back of a spoon and is thickened (10 minutes).
- Last but not least season with cracked black pepper and salt as needed and serve.