1/1 Photo of Pollo Con Chiles Verdes Frescos
From a local source. The original recipe was printed on the back of a package of whole chicken from the 80s. I rearranged the recipe in only a few places. Servings are estimated. I know it's tempting to want to use canned green chilies but it's much better to roast your own. What the sauce lacks in eye appeal makes up in taste. The chicken was served with plain homemade black beans, Pilaf With Tomato Turkish-Style (Domatesli Pilav), a tossed crisp romaine salad with asparagus and carrots, this dressing Burnt Honey and Orange Vinaigrette and locally made flour tortillas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs chicken thighs (Or breasts if you prefer. I did not pound out the chicken with a mallet this time.)
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder, plus more for garnish (original recipe called for 2 tsp. regular chili powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon spanish smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon achiote powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (a last minute addition)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (1/4 teaspoon of regular salt was replaced with 'Salish' smoked salt)
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil (I tested with grape seed oil but be sure to use an oil with a high flash point)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup finely diced white onion
- 1/3-1/2 cup roasted fresh anaheim chili (about 2-3 fresh Anaheim chilis)
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream or 1/2 cup Mexican crema, at room temperature
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 1Roasting the chilies: place the whole chilies in a Dutch oven (the same one you'll use to prepare the chicken for this recipe.) BROIL for about 15 minutes until the skin is blistered on all sides. Remove Dutch oven to the counter and immediately cover. Let sit for about 20 minutes or until the chilies are cool enough to handle. Remove the blistered skin, stem, seeds and membrane. Chop the chilies up into small pieces. Proceed with recipe.
- 2Mix together the chipotle powder, (Spanish smoked) paprika, achiote, cumin, cinnamon and salt. Rub the spice mixture on the outside of the chicken. I placed the chicken pieces in a Pyrex baking dish, covered it and refrigerated for several hours.
- 3Heat oil in a Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Brown the chicken about 5 minutes each side. Set the chicken aside on a plate.
- 4Lower the heat to medium and wait a few minutes. Now add the onions and garlic to the Dutch oven and continue cooking only 2 minutes until the onions soften.
- 5Add chilies and chicken broth. Give it a good stir, scraping up any browned bits. Return the chicken to the Dutch oven.
- 6Bring to a medium-heat then immediately lower the heat to simmer, cover, and cook about 20 to 25 minutes, depending on the thickness and size of the pieces.
- 7Remove the chicken to a serving platter.
- 8Skim fat from sauce. Raise heat to high. Boil a few minutes until sauce reduces and thickens a bit. Remove from heat, whisk in the lime juice and sour cream.
- 9Taste and check for seasoning.
- 10Pour sauce over chicken, turning pieces to coat. Add a faint dusting of chili powder for color and sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pollo Con Chiles Verdes Frescos
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 625.3
- Calories from Fat 429
- Total Fat 47.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 205.9 mg
- Sodium 659.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 41.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: