Recipe by Diana S_411105181
This recipe started as "Calabazasitas" which my Grandmother and parents used to make when I was a little girl. I have changed it quite a bit by adding meats and cheeses and different veggies and spices anything that I thought would blend in well with the squash. I love it because it can be eaten as tacos or fajitas or all by it self with a side of spanish rice and beans. Also if your not into meat it is great with just the veggies.
- 3 -4 zucchini, washed and diced
- 3 -4 crookneck yellow squash, washed and diced
- 3 -4 skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 medium red sweet bell pepper, washed and diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 can sweet corn, drained
- 1 bag of shredded four-cheese Mexican blend cheese (med or large bag depending how much cheese you like)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons ground red chili pepper, you can add more if you like it even spicier (Please don’t use the chili you find in the spice section but the ones you find in the Mexican food s)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large frying pan heat oil to medium temp.
- Add chicken and garlic cook until brown.
- Add the rest of the items and stir to mix and until onions and zucchini just start to cook.
- Put all ingredients into a casserole dish and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until cheese has completely melted and veggies are soft but not mushy.
- Serve with hot home made flour tortillas or steamed corn tortillas, sour cream and chopped cilantro.
- Beef or Pork can be used in the recipe and it is great with just the veggies.