Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is quite a spicy marinade...so beware. Flattening the chicken is the hardest part of this recipe. By flattening the chicken it cooks quicker - more meat exposed to heat the faster it will cook.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 -4 dashes hot pepper sauce or 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 whole frying chicken
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
- Let stand for a few min, then adjust to taste.
- To flatten the chicken, first rinse the chicken and pat dry.
- With poultry/kitchen shears or a chef's knife, cut through the ribs and pelvic bones where they join the backbone.
- Remove the backbone and any traces jof kidneys left on the chicken.
- Turn the bird breast side down.
- Cut a notch in the breastbone at the wishbone end, and spread the ribcage apart.
- Turn the bird over again, and lean on it with the heel of your hand to flatten it.
- Tuck the wing tips under the rest of the wings, or remove and save for stock or buffalo wings.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and rub the marinade all over the meat and skin.
- Marinate for 30 min or up to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat grill to medium high.
- Start the chicken cooking on the skin side, turn after 10 min, and continue cooking on the bone side until juices run clear when the meat is pierced near the bone. Total cooking time is 25-35 minute.
- Baste frequently with the remaining marinade while cooking, but NOT during the last 10 minute.
I had no trouble splitting the chicken to your instructions. Not sure if I applied enough pressure to flatten the chicken but It seemed ok to me. After grilling, I didn't detect much of the flavor of the marinade when I tasted it. It just didn't come through enough for me. Maybe some garlic and a few herbs would have helped. I cooked the chicken about 50 minutes on the grill, not 25-35 as your recipe states. I'm not sure that this split method is the best for cooking chicken. The breast parts were very dry and the legs and thighs were too pink inside. I like cooking the pieces separately as I can take the breasts off a little earlier and let the legs and thighs finish cooking. The taste was pretty good, but not what I expected.