1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 5 mins
This is quite a spicy marinade...so beware. Flattening the chicken is the hardest part of this recipe. By flattening the chicken it cooks quicker - more meat exposed to heat the faster it will cook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 -4 dashes hot pepper sauce or 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
- 2Let stand for a few min, then adjust to taste.
- 3To flatten the chicken, first rinse the chicken and pat dry.
- 4With poultry/kitchen shears or a chef's knife, cut through the ribs and pelvic bones where they join the backbone.
- 5Remove the backbone and any traces jof kidneys left on the chicken.
- 6Turn the bird breast side down.
- 7Cut a notch in the breastbone at the wishbone end, and spread the ribcage apart.
- 8Turn the bird over again, and lean on it with the heel of your hand to flatten it.
- 9Tuck the wing tips under the rest of the wings, or remove and save for stock or buffalo wings.
- 10Sprinkle the chicken with salt and rub the marinade all over the meat and skin.
- 11Marinate for 30 min or up to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- 12Heat grill to medium high.
- 13Start the chicken cooking on the skin side, turn after 10 min, and continue cooking on the bone side until juices run clear when the meat is pierced near the bone. Total cooking time is 25-35 minute.
- 14Baste frequently with the remaining marinade while cooking, but NOT during the last 10 minute.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pollo Alla Diavola (Split Chicken With Hot Mustard Marinade)
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 493.8
- Calories from Fat 400
- Total Fat 44.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 86.2 mg
- Sodium 316.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 21.7 g