Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Cacciatora should be cooked slowly so that the flavors blend and the chicken is tender. Simmer slowly and when finished, dip some hard crusted Italian bread in the sauce. Mangia! Mangia!
- 5 lbs whole chickens, cut into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- 1 cup green pepper, julienned
- 1⁄8 cup garlic, minced
- 8 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup red wine or 3⁄4 cup marsala wine
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Wash and drain chicken pieces. Heat olive oil in deep skillet. Roll and coat each chicken piece in the flour and brown each piece on all sides to a golden brown. Transfer chicken to paper towels to drain.
- Saute the onion, mushrooms, carrot, green pepper, and garlic in the same skillet for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, wine, herbs, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for another 5 minutes.
- Add all the chicken pieces and mix well. Turn down the heat very low and simmer, covered, for 1-2 hours. Adjust the salt and pepper to your taste.
- Serve with some freshly grated Romano cheese and a warm loaf of bread.
This is fantastic! Would not change a thing. Thx. for posting.
Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!! I added a little more garlic but didn't change anything else. YUM!!! A must try!!! Thank you, Irish Ros!!!!