Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
My version of an old favorite, using red wine. If feeding the kiddies, you may want to sub chicken broth.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (use the same wine as you would drink)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushroom
- hot cooked pasta
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, sauté onion and garlic in 1 teaspoon oil until softened, about 5 minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, dried seasonings and bay leaf; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season chicken pieces on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Sauté in remaining oil in a large skillet over med. heat for about 5 minutes per side; keep warm until sauce is ready.
- Place bell peppers and mushrooms in skillet with chicken and top with half of the sauce.
- Simmer both the chicken and the remaining sauce, uncovered, for an additional 15 minutes.
- Top chicken with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.