Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My version of an old favorite, using red wine. If feeding the kiddies, you may want to sub chicken broth.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (use the same wine as you would drink)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushroom
- hot cooked pasta
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, sauté onion and garlic in 1 teaspoon oil until softened, about 5 minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, dried seasonings and bay leaf; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season chicken pieces on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Sauté in remaining oil in a large skillet over med. heat for about 5 minutes per side; keep warm until sauce is ready.
- Place bell peppers and mushrooms in skillet with chicken and top with half of the sauce.
- Simmer both the chicken and the remaining sauce, uncovered, for an additional 15 minutes.
- Top chicken with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.