1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This wonderful recipe is from El Colmao in Koreatown, Los Angeles, California. The restaurant serves the chicken with rice and black beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 large onion, sliced thinly into half-rings
- 1 large onion, chopped, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup dry white wine, divided
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup sweet peas
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 cup green olives, pitted whole
- 1Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 teaspoons oil over high heat. Add the sliced onions to the oil and sauté, stirring frequently, until softened and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in the garlic and continue to cook until the garlic is aromatic and the onions are just beginning to color, about 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
- 4Sprinkle the chicken evenly on both sides with three-fourths teaspoon salt and one-fourth teaspoon pepper and place, skin side up and in one layer, over the onions in the Dutch oven.
- 5Add one-fourth cup white wine, cover and bake until the chicken is cooked halfway through, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 6Remove the par-baked chicken (with the onion-garlic mixture and any liquid) to a separate baking dish or bowl.
- 7To the Dutch oven, add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and chopped onion and sweat the onions over medium-low heat until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 8Stir in the chopped tomato, tomato sauce, tomato paste and sweet peas, along with the remaining one-half cup white wine, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, one-fourth teaspoon pepper, chile powder and olives and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 9Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and add back the chicken, onion-garlic mixture and cooking liquid to the sauce. Cover and continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through and tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pollo Al Colmao (Cuban Chicken Stew With Olives)
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.9
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 103.5 mg
- Sodium 1816.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 29.9 g