My favorite dish at our local Mexican Restaurant. Chicken, mushrooms & onions in a spicy cream sauce, YUM! Very rich, but so delish! A real comfort food. I have been playing with the recipe for some time, just trying to get close to what they serve. I think I'm finally as close as I can get. 5/30/08 Update: If you can find Mexican Crema (dairy case at my grocer) it is thicker and works better than cream. This is also good served over rice or noodles. ***I discovered that my Paprika had gotten old and lost strength, when I bought new, I also had to reduce the amount. The recipe now reflects the reduced amount.
- Heat oil in large frying pan. Saute chicken and onion until chicken is no longer pink & onions are translucent.
- Add cream, mushrooms, paprika & chicken base.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Mixture will be somewhat thin, but should be a creamy texture like the consistency of a white sauce.
- Serve hot with warmed flour tortillas and Spanish Rice.