Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
My favorite dish at our local Mexican Restaurant. Chicken, mushrooms & onions in a spicy cream sauce, YUM! Very rich, but so delish! A real comfort food. I have been playing with the recipe for some time, just trying to get close to what they serve. I think I'm finally as close as I can get. 5/30/08 Update: If you can find Mexican Crema (dairy case at my grocer) it is thicker and works better than cream. This is also good served over rice or noodles. ***I discovered that my Paprika had gotten old and lost strength, when I bought new, I also had to reduce the amount. The recipe now reflects the reduced amount.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups boneless chicken breasts, cut in strips
- 1 sweet onion, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced fairly thick
- 1 tablespoon paprika (or more if desired)
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- 1 cup heavy cream (Mexican cream works best)
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- Heat oil in large frying pan. Saute chicken and onion until chicken is no longer pink & onions are translucent.
- Add cream, mushrooms, paprika & chicken base.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Mixture will be somewhat thin, but should be a creamy texture like the consistency of a white sauce.
- Serve hot with warmed flour tortillas and Spanish Rice.
I was really looking forward to this recipe. I made it exactly as stated... this is a good base recipe... but I would make a couple changes.. the chicken base was way too overpowering... I would cut this in half and maybe take it out altogether. Half the PAPRIKA!! Way too much paprika..... and maybe use butter instead of the olive oil. At the restaurant here it says Chicken in our own butter and sour cream sauce... so I think that would help the flavors. Thanks for the base recipe though!
AMAZING....delish delish delish!
GrammaJeanne, you are a genius! This is excellent! I did use a few tips from other reviewers and used butter instead of oil, cut both the chicken base and paprika down to 1 tablespoon and also added 2 cloves of fresh minced garlic. I found the canned cream in the Mexican aisle called Media Crema made by Nestle in a 7.6 oz. can. I used fat free sour cream and it was till so rich and decadent. Next time, I'll add some green bell peppers to the saute mix like our favorite Mexican place does. My son added some chipotles to his. We LOVED this! Thanks so much!