Prep 8 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This is a regional dish from Peru that I found on Epicurious. Many versions of this recipe abound, though soy sauce is the common ingredient in all of them. The title suggests it's grilled, but this dish can be oven roasted, too. But please plan accordingly though, as the chicken needs to marinate for 8 to 24 hours.
- Blend soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, cumin, paprika, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and oil in a blender.
- Put chicken in a large sealable bag and add marinade. Seal bag and marinate, chilled, 8 to 24 hours. Turn occasionally to assure even marinating.
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat.
- Discard marinade, then pat chicken dry. Oil grill rack.
- Grill chicken over area with no coals (or over a turned-off burner), skin side down first, covered, turning over once, until cooked through, about 30 to 35 minutes (add charcoal to maintain heat).
- Garnish with lime wedges.
- (IF OVEN ROASTING - Preheat oven to 500°F, and roast chicken for 30 minutes in a 13x9-inch roasting pan with 1 cup water. After 30 minutes of roasting time, tent with foil and continue roasting until browned and cooked through, or about 15 minutes longer.).
Close, but not quite as good as my local Peruvian place. Smells just like it, but flavor not permeated through meat, as there's is. Maybe I should have marinated it longer or poked holes in chicken before hand. I did about 6 - 7 hours. Also, I missed the little yellow sauce packet. The sauce packet is 50% of the goodness.
the missing flavor is a Peruvian spice called Aji Panca. If you substitute 1 teaspoon of the cumin with Aji Panca it will be perfect. The spice is available as a paste or dry ground.
Another 5 star recipe from you, NWG!!! We really enjoyed these chicken quarters!! I made it as written, using two chicken quarters, didn't bother to way them. DH then cooked them on the grill and basted them a couple of times during the beginning of grilling. I served these with rice, green beans and rolls. Thanks for sharing another winning recipe. Made for your win in the football pool!!! Congrats!!!!