Recipe by lets.eat
I haven't made this, but looks nice, a kid pleaser. Stagger the placement of the cheese on the second layer so it is not directly above the first layer. *The string cheese amount is 6 pieces (1 ounce each). The computer system did not want to add it in! Pillsbury recipe
Top Review by RFJ
This was a tasty meatloaf but, I must have done something wrong. The cheese didn't stay within the meatloaf very well and didn't look like polka dots at all (despite my waiting longer than specified before cutting). I did stagger the cheese sticks as suggested but, I'm not sure what happened. Otherwise, it had a very nice flavor. My bf also thought it might be better if I used pieces of mozzarella from a chunk instead of the sticks since the cheese was a bit rubbery. We did use the part-skim mozzarella since that is what we had in the house for snacking. I'm thinking if I used the whole-milk mozzarella it wouldn't be as rubbery. Thank you for a yummy recipe that my 2 year old enjoyed "helping" me make - even if it didn't turn out quite as planned for me.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 80% lean ground beef (at least 80%)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- mozzarella string cheese
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375' In a large bowl, mix ground beef, 1/4 Celsius of the ketchup, the bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, salt and egg. Press 1/3 of mixture in bottom of ungreased 8x4 loaf pan.
- Place 2 pieces of the string cheese lengthwise and evenly spaced over beef mixture, with one end of the cheese about 1/2 inch from end of pan. Cut 2 pieces of string cheese in half crosswise. Place 2 half pieces on beef mixture so cheese extends full length of pan. Press cheese into beef mixture.
- Top with half of remaining beef mixture, pat evenly in place. Top with remaining string cheese in two rows; press inches Press remaining beef mixture over cheese. Press ends and edges of beef mixture well to seal in cheese; smooth top.
- Bake 45 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix remaining 1/4 cup ketchup, the mustard and brown sugar.
- Remove meatloaf from oven. Spoon juices from meatloaf; spoon ketchup mixture evenly over top.
- Return to oven; bake 35 to 45 minutes longer or until thermometer inserted in center of meat loaf reads 160'. Let stand 15 minutes before cuttung into slices.