Recipe by spinster
I know, I know. This moussaka recipe will make food purist shudder in horror because it is full of preprocessed ingredients and definitely not like the Real Stuff you'd eat in Greece. But I like it because it's quick and very, very tasty. Politically incorrect indeed... Lots of calories, not for the faint of heart! A healthy salad as side dish is recommended... :-)
- 1 eggplant, cut in 5 mm slices lengthwise
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200 g ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 400 ml tomato sauce (ready-made)
- 200 g mashed potatoes (can be the ready-made stuff, or can be replaced by cooked sliced potatoes)
- 150 g Greek yogurt
- 50 g grated cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven, 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix 2 tbsp olive oil with 1 minced garlic clove. Rub the eggplant slices with the garlic-oil mix.
- Grill eggplant slices in grill pan, approximately 3 minutes on each side.
- Pour the rest of olive oil in a frying pan, add ground beef and the other minced garlic clove and let fry until the meat is well-done. Add tomato sauce, oregano, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put eggplant slices on the bottom of a greased oven-proof dish.
- Put tomato-beef sauce on top of this.
- The next layer consists of the potato mash or slices.
- Top with a layer of yogurt mixed with grated cheese, salt and pepper.
- Put dish in preheated oven, let fry for 15 minutes and finish with 5 minutes under grill in order to make the yogurt-cheese layer crispy.