Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Serve with mashed or boiled potatoes.
Make and share this Polish Zeberka Wieprzowena Z Kapusta (Spareribs and Cabbage) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 1⁄2 lbs fresh pork spareribs, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 small head green cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- freshly-ground pepper
- Heat oil in Dutch oven until hot. Cook pork spareribs, a few pieces at a time, over medium heat until brown on all sides, about 15 minutes; drain fat.
- Add onion, carrot, bouillon, salt, caraway seed, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the bay leaf. Pour water and vinegar over pork mixture.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add cabbage; sprinkle with pepper. Cover and simmer until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Arrange spareribs and vegetables on serving platter.
- Garnish with minced parsley if desired.
I cut the recipe in half, using 2 lbs baby-back ribs. and added 2 potatoes peeled and quartered after the pork simmered 1/2 hour. This is a great one-pot meal and a real treat. I will be making this again. Thanks for posting Bethie! Made fpr Fall 2009 PAC.