Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My favorite dinner party soup! Cooking the dried mushrooms for 4 hours produces an intense flavor that cannot be achieved with fresh mushrooms. The onions and butter (don't skimp) transform the broth into a rich, enchanting and elegant first course soup. Don't be concerned with the cooking time, this is a simple and very easy to make soup. Prep time does not include soaking overnight.
- Cover mushrooms with cold water and soak overnight.
- Drain the mushrooms reserving the soaking liquid, strain the liquid through a fine cloth.
- Rinse the mushrooms in cold water to remove any remaining sand then slice into strips.
- Add the mushrooms, 8 cups of of the beef stock and the soaking liquid to a 3 quart saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer over low heat 4 hours.
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet, add the onion, sauté until golden brown then add to the soup.
- Whisk the cornstarch with the remaining cup of beef stock, add to the soup, stir and simmer until slightly thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, ladle into individual bowls, top each with 1 tbs sour cream and sprinkle with parsley.