Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My favorite dinner party soup! Cooking the dried mushrooms for 4 hours produces an intense flavor that cannot be achieved with fresh mushrooms. The onions and butter (don't skimp) transform the broth into a rich, enchanting and elegant first course soup. Don't be concerned with the cooking time, this is a simple and very easy to make soup. Prep time does not include soaking overnight.
- 1⁄4 lb dried wild mushrooms, preferably boletus edulis (I use porcini)
- 9 cups beef stock or 9 cups canned reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup butter (not margarine)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- white pepper
- sour cream
- chopped fresh parsley
- Cover mushrooms with cold water and soak overnight.
- Drain the mushrooms reserving the soaking liquid, strain the liquid through a fine cloth.
- Rinse the mushrooms in cold water to remove any remaining sand then slice into strips.
- Add the mushrooms, 8 cups of of the beef stock and the soaking liquid to a 3 quart saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer over low heat 4 hours.
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet, add the onion, sauté until golden brown then add to the soup.
- Whisk the cornstarch with the remaining cup of beef stock, add to the soup, stir and simmer until slightly thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, ladle into individual bowls, top each with 1 tbs sour cream and sprinkle with parsley.
Hello! Your recipe is so far the best of these which i have found (and as I am Polish I know the real taste of mushroom soup:) But it will take less time if you soak the mushrooms in the warm boiled water (3 hours should be enough) then I think that 4 hours of cooking is not necessary; if you want a real mushroom flavour just make the soup one day in advance (by the way it works with most of the polish soups;))But the traditional recipe says that 1-2 hours of cooking is enough. This soup is the best with home made noodles. Bon apetit:) PS. Personally i prefer chicken stock, it makes the taste plus "subtil"
Authentic and delicious. Thank you.
It is so delicious!