This recipe contains no beets, but for some reason is still called borscht. It does contain kielbasa, hard cooked eggs, and potatoes! Adapted from Sarah Karnasiewicz, Los Angeles Times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs smoked kielbasa
- 6 eggs
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 leeks, white and light green parts only sliced into thin rounds
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- kosher salt, & freshly ground black
- 1Place the kielbasa and eggs (still in their shells, they are going to be hard-cooked) into a 4-quart pot and cover with the water and bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 8 minutes.
- 2Use a slotted spoon, to remove eggs to an ice water bath; continue simmering the kielbasa for 15 minutes more.
- 3Drain kielbasa, reserving the cooking liquid separately.
- 4Return the pot to the heat melt the butter; turn the heat up to medium and stir in the garlic and leeks and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 5Reduce heat and cook until leeks are very tender, about 20 minutes, being careful not to let the leeks brown.
- 6Stir in the potatoes and reserved cooking liquid, increase heat to a simmer, cover, and continue cooking until potatoes are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 7Puree the soup using an immersion blender, or in a standing blender, in batches; return soup to medium-low heat.
- 8In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and sour cream; stir in 1/2 cup of the soup to temper the mixture, then whisk into the soup in the pot on the stove.
- 9Slice the kielbasa into 1/2-inch slices and stir into soup; stir in horseradish and season with salt and pepper.
- 10Thin soup with water if needed.
- 11Peel the eggs and roughly chop them as a garnish for the soup.
Browse Our Top Polish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polish White Borscht (Bialy Barszcz)
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.9
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 152.2 mg
- Sodium 774.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 12.3 g