1/1 Photo of Polish-Style Roast Chicken
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 whole roasting chickens
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup vodka
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Remove giblets from chickens. Place hearts, necks, and gizzards in roasting pan. Discard livers.
- 3With a sharp knife, remove excess fat from chickens. Dry insides with a paper towel. With fingers, loosen skin over breast and thighs to make pockets, being careful not to tear the skin.
- 4In a food processor or blender, combine onion, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper; puree until smooth.
- 5Spread 1/4 cup onion puree in the bottom of the roasting pan.
- 6Place chickens in pan, at least 1 inch apart. Rub 1 tablespoon puree in each cavity and spread remaining puree under skin.
- 7Tuck wing tips under back and tie legs together with kitchen twine.
- 8Roast chickens for 20 minutes. Drizzle with 1/4 cup chicken broth and roast for 40 minutes more, basting with pan drippings every 20 minutes.
- 9Tent chickens with foil and continue roasting for 30 minutes, or until meat thermometer measures 180° and the cavity juices run clear.
- 10Transfer chickens to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Pour pan juices into a bowl and chill in freezer 10 minutes to bring fat to the surface.
- 11Meanwhile, add remaining chicken broth and vodka to roasting pan and bring to boil over medium heat, scraping up any brown bits adhering to pan. Add any juices accumulated on the platter. Skim off fat from chilled pan juices, add to roasting pan, and return to a boil.
- 12Strain juices through a fine sieve into a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. In a small bowl, blend water and cornstarch; whisk into simmering gravy. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Whisk in dill and sour cream, if using. Season with salt and pepper.
- 13Carve chickens, discarding skin. Serve with gravy (save some if making Polish Chicken Noodle Soup.)
- 14Serve with egg noodles and sauteed cabbage.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polish-Style Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.5
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 53.4 mg
- Sodium 820.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 14.3 g