Easy and yummy. Even my husband who hates cabbage thinks these are great. High in Iron and Protein, and Vitamins A, B, & C. Can also be made in the crockpot instead of oven, just place rolls seasmside down in crockpot, pour in sauce, cover and cook on LOW 8-10 hours.
- 12 large cabbage leaves
- 1 1⁄8 lbs ground elk or 1 1⁄8 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄8 lb pork sausage or 1⁄8 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup rice, cooked with
- 1 tablespoon butter (1 cup rice when cooked)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons onions, grated
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup cabbage, shredded
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Cut 12 large leaves off of cabbage head, cover leaves with boiling water, let stand until leaves are limp (2-3 minutes); then drain OR core cabbage head, and boil cabbage until leaves are tender enough to remove easily (10-15 minutes), very carefully remove 12 large leaves (You may have to peel the outer layers first and then return the cabbage to cook and continue peeling the leaves until all are done); then drain.
- Mix beef, pork, rice, egg, milk, seasonings, and vegetables.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put 1-4 tablespoons (depending on size of leaf) of meat mixture in center of each leaf; tuck in sides and roll to cover meat (I roll any leftover filling into meatballs and cook them with the cabbage rolls).
- Place, seam side down in baking dish.
- Mix tomato sauce with the sugar; pour over rolls.
- Cover and bake for 45-60 minutes.