1/1 Photo of Polish Stir-Fry- Rachael Ray (Vegetarian Version)
From Food Network website. I have changed this to be a vegetarian dish. You can substitute vegetarian kielbasa with the real thing, of course. I have made this a couple of times, and the taste changes depending on the type of pierogis used. You can use beet leaves rather than kale, if you'd like. This is a great way to use up some of those winter greens! I often leave out the kielbasa all together as there is only two of us here and it is just too large of a dish with it included. Vegetarian kielbasa is available under the Tofurkey and Boca brands at your local health food store (at least in California!)You can also order it online.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 (18 ounce) package pierogi, frozen (or other potato filled dumpling)
- 1 (1/2 lb) package vegetarian kielbasa, cut in slices on an angle (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (about enough to cover the pan in one turn)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large red onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 lb sauerkraut, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard or 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 cup sour cream (I use non-fat)
- 1Cover the bottom of a skillet with softened butter. Arrange pierogis in the pan in a single layer. Add 1 cup water to the pan.
- 2Cover pan and place over medium high heat. Cook covered 8 minutes, remove lid and cook out any liquid in the pot.
- 3Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Brown kielbasa and remove from pan. Cover kielbasa with foil to keep warm.
- 4If using meat kielbasa, drain the fat from the pan.
- 5In the same pan add 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter. Raise to high heat. Add onion to the pan and sauté for a few minutes to soften.
- 6Add chopped kale in batches as it wilts into the pan. When kale is wilted, add sauerkraut.
- 7Season stir-fry with mustard, paprika, salt and pepper. Return kielbasa to the pan.
- 8Toss to combine and transfer to a serving platter.
- 9Let the pierogis "stick" and brown in the butter as the liquid evaporates. Remove the crisp pierogis from heat to a plate.
- 10Stir together the chopped herbs and sour cream with salt and pepper. Serve with pierogis.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polish Stir-Fry- Rachael Ray (Vegetarian Version)
Serving Size: 1 (399 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.4
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 60.4 mg
- Sodium 973.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: