Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe originated as Rachael Ray's friend Jon's Polish Stir Fry, but I found out I really don't care for kale. Since I really liked the idea of a Polish Stir Fry I substituted kale with beet tops, and came out with a much better flavor (at least for me).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs kielbasa, sliced on an angle
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large red onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beet leaves, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 lb sauerkraut, drained and reserved
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard or 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat and brown kielbasa.
- Remove from pan. Cover kielbasa with foil to keep warm.
- Drain fat and add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon butter.
- Add onion to the pan and saute for a few minutes to soften.
- Add chopped greens in batches as it wilts into the pan.
- When greens are wilted, add sauerkraut.
- Mix together reserved sauerkraut "juice", mustard, paprika, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Add to pan.
- Return kielbasa to pan. Toss to combine and transfer to a serving platter.
I was so disappointed in this recipe, the presentation was terrible and the flavor was so odd. I ended up picking the kielbasa out and tossing the rest in the garbage.