Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
It is important to use fresh sausage in this and not the presmoked type. Otherwise you will never shape it into meatballs.
- 1 lb bulk fresh Polish sausage (or remove from casings)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown Sugar Twin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oat flour or 1 tablespoon soy flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs sauerkraut (no sugar added)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup low-carb apple juice (or water)
- 1 cup water
- Combine meatball ingredients until smooth, then chill.
- Saute the onion, celery and juniper berries in the oil until tender. Stir in the kraut, salt, pepper, apple juice, and water. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 60-90 minutes or until most all of the liquid has cooked away. Keep warm.
- Form meat mixture into meatballs, using wet hands. Grill meatballs (you can place on soaked skewers if you like)(I like grilling them on an oiled fine-mesh grate) over hot coals or broil or bake until cooked through. Serve meatballs with kraut.