Recipe by steve in FL
When I was in high school, I worked at a Polish Deli in Michigan and this was one of their most popular subs.
Top Review by chelleg
What a delicious, easy and quick way to make a meal. My whole family loved the sandwich. I did fry the sausage before building the sandwich. I also used a large round loaf of bread because I was out of sub rolls. I went by the recipe otherwise. The sandwich turned out great and was so easy. I will certainly make this recipe again and again. Thanks :-)
- 1 lb Polish sausage (Kielbasa)
- 16 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- 4 submarine rolls
- mustard (yellow or brown, your choice)
- horseradish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the sausage into 1/4" rounds, on the diagonal (so as to get more surface space).
- Evenly lay out the sausage slices over bottom half of sub rolls.
- Top with desired amount of sauerkraut, if desired. In Michigan - they desire. lol.
- Squirt some mustard, your choice of flavor - over the kraut.
- If you're into horseradish, you want to schmear the top half of the bun with that.
- Cover the sandwich with the top bun; wrap in foil, and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes, until heated thru and bun is toasted.
- Sometimes people would ask for cheese to be added, so if you see yourself in that crowd, add it after the kraut.