Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I am a kielbasa lover, and nothing goes better with them than kraut. I sometimes add green pepper, and this is also great served in a bun, like the polish sausages you get at the fair!
- 4 -6 Polish sausage (I also use smoked sausage)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- Cook sausages over medium heat in 10 inch skillet until brown.
- Cook onion in the same skillet until soft.
- Stir in sauerkraut; cover and simmer 3 minutes.
- Place sausages on top of sauerkraut.
- Cover and cook 2 minutes or until heated through.
I served this dish with pierogis and sour cream, cold pickled beets, and steamed red cabbage - yum! The sauerkraut was maybe just a little too sour for my husband's taste, but I think that the side dished kind of evened it out. I fried the sausage in olive oil with a couple capfuls of Smirnoff. Very easy and quick to make!
Good stuff, especially with mashed potatoes!
This is awesome with about a half-cup of beer, cooked in a dutch oven over a campfire!!!