I got a 'deal' on a 3 lb bag of Polish Sausage. The pantry yielded a 1 lb bag of Baby Lima Beans. The rest just seemed to fall together.
- 1 lb baby lima beans, sorted,washed,soaked overnight
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded,deveined,chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 red potatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 2 lbs Polish sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup potato flakes
- Pour stock into crock pot, set on high.
- Add beans.
- Heat a heavy frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add Oil.
- Add Onions, Garlic, Bell Peppers, Celery, Red Potatoes, and Baby Carrots.
- Saute (Stir fry)'til Onions are translucent.
- Add crushed Red Chiles and Tomato paste, mix well.
- Add vegetables to crock pot.
- Reduce heat to low, cook 3 hours.
- Add Sausage, cook 3/4 hour.
- Add enough Potato Flakes to thicken as desired.
- Cook 15 minutes more.
- Serve with a Peasant Loaf or maybe Cornbread or Cornsticks.