Prep 40 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I got a 'deal' on a 3 lb bag of Polish Sausage. The pantry yielded a 1 lb bag of Baby Lima Beans. The rest just seemed to fall together.
- 1 lb baby lima beans, sorted,washed,soaked overnight
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded,deveined,chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 red potatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 2 lbs Polish sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup potato flakes
- Pour stock into crock pot, set on high.
- Add beans.
- Heat a heavy frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add Oil.
- Add Onions, Garlic, Bell Peppers, Celery, Red Potatoes, and Baby Carrots.
- Saute (Stir fry)'til Onions are translucent.
- Add crushed Red Chiles and Tomato paste, mix well.
- Add vegetables to crock pot.
- Reduce heat to low, cook 3 hours.
- Add Sausage, cook 3/4 hour.
- Add enough Potato Flakes to thicken as desired.
- Cook 15 minutes more.
- Serve with a Peasant Loaf or maybe Cornbread or Cornsticks.
very good! i doubled the red pepper and added 2tsp kosher salt and 1tsp black pepper.
Oh! how we enjoyed this one. It will definitely be on my menus for the fall and winter. Thank you! Margie
Great comfort food here for a cold winter night! We made homemade Italian bread for this one. Very filling, warm and satisfying. Thanks Pierre Dance