Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
You can use from 1-3 pounds of sausage depending on your tastes. I love dipping buttered rye bread in the soup - must be my Polish genes.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean fresh kielbasa or 1 1⁄2 lbs smoked kielbasa, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh dill (optional)
- Melt butter in a large skillet, add sausage, onions and celery, and cook over medium heat until sausage are lightly browned.
- Pour mixture into a soup pot and add remaining ingredients except for potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with dill, if desired.
This was a great recipe. I used leftover kielbasa from Easter dinner. Next time if I use leftover kielbasa, I would wait to add until last, so it won't be overcooked. Also, we love carrots, so I'd add more of them. Will definitely be making this again.
I made this for dinner tonight. Next time I might cut back on the cabbage a little so the other flavors come through more.
This was amazing! My Husband, who is Polish, gave his compliments to the chef! He said it reminded him of a soup he used to eat when he was little. Anyway, I followed the directions to a T and the soup came out great! Thanks!