Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I wanted a polish sausage casserole recipe that combined the flavors that my family seemed to most like. When I couldn't find it, I decided to make my own and this was met with rave reviews from youngest to oldest! This will definitely go on our regular line up.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (or butter)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 32 ounces frozen hash brown potatoes (or grate 2 lbs potatoes)
- 16 ounces turkey Polish kielbasa or 16 ounces turkey Polish kielbasa, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 lb asparagus (or broccoli crowns, frozen is fine)
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard (or 1/4 t. hot sauce)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the oil (or melted butter) in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Spread the chopped onion and then the shredded potatoes evenly to cover the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Bake this first layer in the oven for 20 minutes, to crisp it up.
- While the potato layer is baking you will have time to make the cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Then add the flour, dry mustard, and salt & pepper. Whisk the mixture together, allowing it to slightly brown and become smooth and just bubbly. Pour in the milk and whisk until smooth and thick. Then add the cheese and whisk again until the cheese has melted, remove from heat.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and cover the top of the potatoes with the thinly sliced polish sausage. Place uncooked asparagus over the top of the sausage and pour the cheese sauce evenly over the top of the asparagus. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the casserole and put into the oven to bake for 40 minutes.