Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
When my husband's Grandmother died, I was the designated person to bring this to all holiday dinners (even though I'm Irish!) since I learned what to do by watching her. She always used fresh rather than smoked Polish Sausage.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bring sausage to boil and simmer 15 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Cut bacon into small pieces.
- Begin browning, then add diced onion.
- Saute together until bacon is almost crisp.
- Drain mixture, reserving bacon grease.
- Drain sauerkraut (do not rinse).
- Add sauerkraut and brown sugar to bacon mixture.
- Mix in about 2 Tablespoons reserved bacon grease and water.
- Place in large casserole dish.
- Cut Polish sausage into 3" pieces and place on top of sauerkraut.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour 15 minutes, checking sauerkraut mixture halfway through to add more water if sauerkraut appears very dry.
- Finish baking; remove from oven.
- Taste sauerkraut and, if desired, adjust flavor by adding salt and pepper, or a little more brown sugar, vinegar or bacon grease to your taste. (Note: In the old days, Busia (Grandma) would soak a cup of yellow peas overnight to soften them and would mix them into the sauerkraut. It was probably to stretch the quantity, but I don't do it anymore!).