Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Natalie
Make and share this Polish Sausage and Kraut recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs fresh Polish sausage or 2 lbs fresh Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (15 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- mashed potatoes (optional)
- Cut sausage into slices.
- If using bulk sausage, break it apart as it browns when cooking.
- In 2 tablespoons of butter, saute sausage, celery, onion, and green bell pepper until meat is browned and vegetables are cooked.
- Drain any fat.
- Add kraut, tomatoes with liquid, brown sugar and seasonings to the sausage in pan.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, adding a small amount of water or tomato juice if necessary.
- Remove bay leaf, and serve over mashed potatoes, if desired.
This recipe is so different from the standard with apples and brown sugar. It's really tasty!!!, Lorie; and quick to make. I cut the recipe in half; but would recommend only cutting the sugar by 1/3--but that's just my tastes. Made for Photo Swap in Cooking Photos.