1/1 Photo of Polish Sausage and Kraut
Sue Lau's Note:
Adapted from a recipe by Natalie
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs fresh Polish sausage or 2 lbs fresh Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (15 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- mashed potatoes (optional)
- 1Cut sausage into slices.
- 2If using bulk sausage, break it apart as it browns when cooking.
- 3In 2 tablespoons of butter, saute sausage, celery, onion, and green bell pepper until meat is browned and vegetables are cooked.
- 4Drain any fat.
- 5Add kraut, tomatoes with liquid, brown sugar and seasonings to the sausage in pan.
- 6Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, adding a small amount of water or tomato juice if necessary.
- 7Remove bay leaf, and serve over mashed potatoes, if desired.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polish Sausage and Kraut
Serving Size: 1 (417 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 605.7
- Calories from Fat 428
- Total Fat 47.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.1 g
- Cholesterol 116.0 mg
- Sodium 1999.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 23.2 g