Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a yummy, easy meal I make during football season - I put it together before church and by the time we come home for the game it's ready! It has great flavor and is a one-pot meal!
- 1 lb canned sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb Polish sausage (Kielbasa)
- 3 tart cooking apples, thickly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice
- Put half of the sauerkraut in the bottom of crock pot.
- Place apples and sausage on top.
- Add all other ingredients except juice.
- Top with other half of sauerkraut.
- Pour juice over all.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low, 6-7 hours.
We really liked this recipe. I made one change by adding a can of whole white potatoes, thickly sliced to the crockpot with an hour left of cooking time. Will definitely make this again.
I am giving this recipe 5 stars! It is so hard to find good crock pot meals that my family enjoys, and that don't taste blah. This one was a great fall dish. My family enjoyed it. The flavors are not overwhelming, I was nervous about the sauerkraut, sugar and apple combo, but it turned out very good. I doubled the sausage, and kept everything else the same. I left out the caraway seeds because I forgot to buy them!Thanks Rachie!