Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Taste of Home's slow cooker recipes.
- 1 (14 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained & rinsed
- 1 lb fully cooked Polish sausage or 1 lb kielbasa, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and cut into 8ths
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice
- Place 1/2 of the sauerkraut in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Top with sausage & apples then remainder of sauerkraut.
- Mix together the brown sugar, caraway seeds & pepper and sprinkle evenly on top.
- Pour apple juice all over.
- Cover & cook on low for 4-5 hours or until apples are tender.
I agree with Parsley, a nice balance of flavors. The sausage was a sun dried tomato chicken sausage and 2 granny smith apples. The brown sugar was Splenda brown sugar blend and apple cider in place of the apple juice. This was served with sourdough bread and Fresh Herb Potatoes.
A great balance of sweet and sour. I doubled the sauerkraut because I had a 28-oz can on hand. I used turkey kielbasa and HoneyCrisp apples. Delicious! Thanx for posting this one; it's a keeper!
This was very good, and quick to put together. I liked the apple juice over the top. Wasn't sure where to put the other half of the kraut so it ended up on top of everything. The brown sugar and apple juice sort of coated everything with a yummy glaze, and there was just the right amount of caraway. Thanks for posting!