Prep 4 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Whole grain peasant bread.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 2 cups rye flour
- 2 cups wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg
- Heat the water and milk to lukewarm.
- Add yeast with 1 tablespoon honey to milk.
- Add 2/3 cup flour and let stand in warm place 20 minutes.
- In another bowl, mix all ingredients but egg.
- Knead 15 minutes.
- Cover with cloth and let rise 90 minutes.
- Put into greased narrow loaf pans and let rise 2 hours.
- Brush with egg.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 40 minutes.
This bread tastes wonderful, but it may take me some time to get the amounts of water and flour right for me. I ran out of wheat bran and had to use half oat bran, though I don't think that would affect anything. I used half very finely milled, and half "rough" rye flour. I think the rye flours I had made the mixture too dry. Anyway, I added 1 cup water (which was too much, actually), and then had to increase the flour by about 1 cup, too to get a dough I could knead. I also put in 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds. But I love the flavor of this bread! So, I'm just going to have to keep practicing. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us.