Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
If you like Reuben sandwiches, you will love this casserole. Got it out of one of those small cookbooks you see in line at the grocery store, a few years ago.
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 (16 ounce) cans sauerkraut, rinsed and drained (I like SilverFloss brand)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs kielbasa, diced,rounded,sliced,whatever you prefer
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon mustard, regular yellow or spicy
- 8 ounces medium noodles, uncooked
- 8 ounces shredded swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Combine soup, milk, onion& mustard in bowl and blend well.
- Spread sauerkraut into greased 13x9 dish and top with the uncooked noodles.
- Spoon soup mixture over noodles.
- Cover with keilbasa and cover with cheese.
- Combine bread crumbs and butter and drizzle over cheese.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until noodles are tender.
This was quite a good casserole, it was definitely filling, and an intersting texture with the noodles (I just made my own egg noodles for it). I agree, if you like reuben sandwiches, you will like this. The only thing I did different was add carraway seeds (I always do that with kraut though.)
Easy to make but rather lacking in texture and interest. It is very rich but still bland. It could use some more spice but I am not sure which ones. I made it for a potluck and no one asked for the recipe.
Good recipe! Kind of rich- couldnt eat it too often- but very easy to make!!