Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is a family favorite at the holidays. It is a very dense, rich cake with a delicious vanilla butternut flavored batter with maraschino cherries and pecans throughout. For the holidays you can usually find maraschino cherries that are dyed green. A small drained jar of these can be added to the cake in addition to the 10 ounce jar of regular red maraschino cherries to give it a festive look. Also, I find that using a silicone bundt pan makes removing the cake much easier. I place the bundt pan on a cookie sheet to make placing it in the oven easier.
- Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- Cream margarine, shortening, sugar and salt.
- Add eggs one at a time beating after each addition.
- Add milk and then flour.
- Fold in vanilla flavoring then fold in cherries and nuts.
- Pour batter into the pan. Start in the middle of a cold oven and bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours at 300 degrees. Do not open door while baking for at least the first 1 1/2 hours.
- Cake is ready when the outside is a dark golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from pan immediately. When cooled, you may dust cake with powdered sugar before serving.