Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
After the war, my Polish relatives spread to all corners of the world, even Downunder, taking their fantastic cuisine with them. This is a delicious potato salad made by my grandmother and mother as well as the extended family. It contains some unusual ingredients. As with many family recipes, this has never been written down. The quantities are estimates, you can add more or less to suit your tastes.
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 tablespoon French dressing
- 3 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cooked peas
- 1⁄2 cup canned baked beans in tomato sauce
- 1 -2 pickled cucumber, cut into small dice
- 90 g cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped. Fresh is best but dried will do
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons cream (fresh or sour)
- Peel potatoes and cut into large dice. Boil or steam until just cooked. Don't overcook.
- Drain and place in a large bowl. While still hot, drizzle the french dressing over the potatoes and allow them to cool.
- When cool, add the eggs, peas, baked beans, cucumbers, cheese, spring onions and dill. Gently mix through.
- Add the mayonnaise and cream and mix through.
- Add more mayo or cream to taste and to get a creamy consistency.
- Garnish with some extra slices of hard boiled egg and fresh dill if you like.