Recipe by Suzy_Q
Made this for Easter with fresh pork from a local farm. ABSOLUTELY delicious and tender. Very unfussy, great for everyday. I use Polish Grill Seasoning but you can use any seasoning or make your own with any combo such as 1 tsp. each of marjoram, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika.
Top Review by Mudflower
Scrumptious! Very tender and the flavor was awesome! It sounded a little weird, onion soup mix and applesauce, but I'm so glad I tried it. I used bouquet garni as the rub, homemade sauerkraut with a little white wine instead of apple juice (but having made it now I would like to try it with apple juice, it's probably great, we just never have any around). I turned the temperature up to 400 after removing the foil to speed things up, and it was very tender. Thank you for the great recipe!
- 1 lb pork tenderloin
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon pork seasoning
- flour, to coat
- 1 tablespoon oil, fat or 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces sauerkraut
- onion soup mix, 1/2 packet
- 1 cup applesauce or 2 apples
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice, separated in half
Directions See How It's Made
- *If using fresh apples, peel, core and dice the apples. Simmer in a little apple juice or water, covered until soft. Mash with a potato masher and you have easy, fresh, homemade applesauce!
- Pat pork loin dry. Season generously on both sides with salt & pepper and then with the pork seasoning. Let sit for 15-30 minutes at room temperature
- Sprinkle the roast on both sides with flour to coat.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Heat oil or butter over medium-high heat, add loin and brown on all sides.
- Add undrained sauerkraut to an oven dish and place loin on top.
- Add applesauce, onion soup mix, brown sugar and ginger to the skillet used to cook the pork. Mix well and spoon over the top of the pork.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the apple juice to the bottom of the pan, over the sauerkraut.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes, basting halfway through.
- After 30 minutes, remove foil, add the other 1/4 cup of apple juice, baste again and cook for 15 more minutes, uncovered.
- Remove from oven and let pork sit for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Slice and serve over the sauerkraut.