1 hr 30 mins
One of my very favorite desserts growing up in a small eastern mill town, I was thrilled to find this in a Taste of Home Magazine and even more suprised to not find it here. This stuff is perfect traditional ethnic holiday fare. Cook time does not include rise/cool time
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cold
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup candied orange peel, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel, finely chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- 2In a large mixing bowl. combine flour, salt and sugar, cut in butter till crumbly.
- 3Combine eggs, yolks and yest mixture, add to crumb mixture, mix well.
- 4Add sour cream and vannilla and beat till smooth.
- 5Turn onto floured surface, knead till smooth ( 6-8 minutes) Do not let rise. Divide in half and roll into 2- 12 inch squares, cover with plastic wrap.
- 6In a small sauce pan, cook and stir poppy seeds and honey for 3 minutes. Add raisins, honey and lemon juice. Cook one more minute and remove from heat, stir in orange and lemon peel and allow to cool ten minutes,.
- 7In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites, slowly stirring in sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold in poppy mixture.
- 8Spread over each dough square to within 1/2 inch of edges. Roll jelly roll style pinch seams to seal.
- 9Cover and Place on a greased cookie sheet and allow to rise till nearly doulbled.
- 10Bake at 350 for 35-30 minutes or untill golden brown.
- 12Combine icing ingredients and drizzle over cooled loaves.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polish Poppy Seed Loaves (2)
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.0
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 48.1 mg
- Sodium 97.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 18.0 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied orange peel