Recipe by Vina
This is one of the many favorite recipes that I got from my father (the Polish Papa!). It's incredibly easy and very, very good. The apples, applesauce, and onion mixture cuts some of the sharpness of the sauerkraut. As a result, even people who claim to hate sauerkraut love this dish. If you REALLY love sauerkraut, use two cans with both the applesauce and apples. I usually do this, as the sauerkraut is a wonderful leftover.
Top Review by Poohbear Pam
This was delicious. I used 4 medium chopped, tart apples and a 28 ounce jar of Polish sauerkraut (with caraway seeds in it). One step you may want to add to the recipe is to RINSE THE SAUERKRAUT in a collander with cold water. It will still have plenty of salt but the flavor of the onion and apple will come through better. I will definitely make this again...absolutely delicious!
- 6 -8 pork chops (at least 3/4 inch thick, bone in)
- 1 (28 -56 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 16 ounces applesauce or 2 cups peeled chopped apples
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 package shake and bake pork coating mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix the drained sauerkraut, applesauce or apples, and chopped onion in the baking dish. Spread out evenly.
- Shake the pork chops in the Shake and Bake until evenly coated. Place chops on top of the sauerkraut, but don't overlap.
- Sprinkle any coating mix remaining in the bag over the top of the pork and sauerkraut.
- Place, uncovered, in the preheated oven and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the pork is done and the coating crispy.