Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of the many favorite recipes that I got from my father (the Polish Papa!). It's incredibly easy and very, very good. The apples, applesauce, and onion mixture cuts some of the sharpness of the sauerkraut. As a result, even people who claim to hate sauerkraut love this dish. If you REALLY love sauerkraut, use two cans with both the applesauce and apples. I usually do this, as the sauerkraut is a wonderful leftover.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix the drained sauerkraut, applesauce or apples, and chopped onion in the baking dish. Spread out evenly.
- Shake the pork chops in the Shake and Bake until evenly coated. Place chops on top of the sauerkraut, but don't overlap.
- Sprinkle any coating mix remaining in the bag over the top of the pork and sauerkraut.
- Place, uncovered, in the preheated oven and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the pork is done and the coating crispy.
This was delicious. I used 4 medium chopped, tart apples and a 28 ounce jar of Polish sauerkraut (with caraway seeds in it). One step you may want to add to the recipe is to RINSE THE SAUERKRAUT in a collander with cold water. It will still have plenty of salt but the flavor of the onion and apple will come through better. I will definitely make this again...absolutely delicious!
Yum. Delicious recipe. I used All-Purpose Shake and Bake instead of purchased shake and bake and added extra onion, and fresh apples instead of applesauce. Served it with Microwave Mashed Potatoes and Apple Crisp for dessert. Into my favorite recipes binder it goes!
I made this for dinner tonight and it was okay. Honestly I didn't hate it but we didn't love it either. I think it was the shake and bake, I just didn't care for that flavor. I would definitely make saurkraut like this again however.