1/2 Photos of Polish Fry Bread
3 hrs 30 mins
Chef Patience's Note:
I don’t know the proper name for these yummy treats, but I was told they are polish. My great aunt’s neighbor makes them for us every year for our family reunion. She must make at least 4 batches of them. We all just about inhale them. They are so good! The neighbor lady gave me the recipe this year. She was so nice! Times and yield are estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Scrub the potato clean, then boil it in the water.
- 2Remove the potato from the water to cool.
- 3Reserve the water.
- 4Peel the potato and discard the skin (or use for something else).
- 5In a small bowl, combine the yeast, milk, and sugar. Set it aside until it is bubbly.
- 6If the yeast mixture does not get bubbly, your yeast is dead. Get some fresh yeast, make sure your milk is not too warm, and try again.
- 7Now, mash the potato and measure out 1 cup. Use the remaining mashed potato elsewhere.
- 8Combine 4 c flour with the softened butter, then add the salt and 1 c mashed potato. Taste it and adjust the salt as needed.
- 9Add the eggs and bubbly yeast mixture.
- 10Using only as much potato water as needed, create a dough.
- 11Set the dough aside in a warm place, covered with a damp towel for maybe an hour and ½ , to rise until doubled in size.
- 12On a floured surface, roll out the dough until it is ½ in thick.
- 13Do not work the dough any more than necessary.
- 14Cut out 3 in circles.
- 15Set the circles aside to rise again.
- 16Heat the oil until very, very hot.
- 17Take the dough circles and stretch them out. Three inch circles should make about six inch breads.
- 18Fry the breads until they are golden, turning them to get both sides done.
- 19Dust the tops of the breads with garlic salt.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polish Fry Bread
Serving Size: 1 (68 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 102.3
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 102.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 3.1 g