Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is from Poland is called Babka Wielkanocna. This recipe is from recipegoldmine.com and is posted for ZWT4
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar or 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 2 teaspoons orange peel, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flour or 4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup lukewarm milk (scalded, then cooled)
- 1 cup golden raisin
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until blended.
- Beat in egg yolks until well blended.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Stir yeast mixture, orange peel, lemon peel, cinnamon and salt into butter mixture.
- Stir in flour alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition, until soft dough forms.
- Stir in raisins.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir down dough; spoon into greased and floured10 x 4-inch tube pan or 12 cup bundt cake pan.
- Cover; let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degreesF
- Bake until bread is golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan; cool completely.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar if desired.
I made this as a preview for Easter. I did not have golden raisins so used regular, and used an organic yeast. I had a problem getting this to rise due to the organic yeast so will be using good ol fashioned yeast next time. Everyone who has had a piece of this lovely bread loved it, and when I toasted it for breakfast this morning I received raves. Thank You Lyn for a fantastic bread which I will be making for Easter Morning breakfast. Made for Bargain Basement Event.
I remade this before I reviewed this due to the bread not rising that well. The second time was much better. On both times, I used butter, maple syrup, and regular flour. Not sure what happened the first time, but the second time the bread rose very nicely. By using the maple syrup, we thought the bread had a very nice flavor, had some for dessert tonight, and the leftovers will be used for a nice breakfast. Anyone wanting to make this I would recommend using the maple syrup. It is well worth it. Made for PRMR tag.